Thursday, June 16, 2005

Legalizing Prostitution

This morning on my local talk radio station there was a discussion about legalizing prostitution. I might be the oddball woman, but I support the idea of legalizing prostitution. I watched a documentary on HBO about a place in Nevada called the Bunny Ranch. If prostitution was to be legalized here, I think that would be ideal. The women all work out of this one house/bordello. All their business is conducted there, no working on the street stuff. The financial transaction took place first with the house manager there. Some percentage went to the house for overhead expenses, but it was fairly low from what I remember. All the rooms had surveillance cameras to make sure the guys weren't hurting the girls (or vice versa I guess) and bouncers on scene. Every month there was a doctor that came in and examined all the girls for disease and drugs and passed out birth control. The girls were required to submit to that exam to keep their job. How much were these girls making? $25,000 a week. Not a year, not a month, but $25K a WEEK.

I think the bordello business model would be an ideal situation. The proposal was brought up that they should be taxed. I think it would be easy if the legal prostitutes were required to work out of houses rather than on the streets. If the house can manage to take their percentage, they can just take a little more for taxes. Their medical care could be easily taken care of. Safety measures are in place to keep away the psychos, as much as they can be kept away.

Anyway, that's something else I'm thinking about this morning.

1 comment:

WhizGidget said...

I've never really given much thought to legalizing prostitution, but that certainly would be the way to do it...

Keeps it clean, off the streets, and profitable (to the gov't with taxes, and to the folks running the place, and providing the services)...

It's something to think about...